Friday, December 6, 2013

BDSM Stigma or When family recommends sex therapy

Last night my mom was still harping about the online dating idea. She would not accept my excuses. Finally, I said I was not in a place to date. She wouldn’t let it go So, I told her I needed to figure out some things about myself. The first thing she asked was, “Are you gay?”

I said, “No.”

Her response? “Are you sure?” Hahaha. I did not mention is bi issue because I know she thinks non-heterosexual behavior is morally wrong. Sometimes she talks about how she is worried about my gay uncles’ souls (her brother and his partner).

However, she still wouldn’t give up, saying, “Now I’m worried.”

Since I give her plenty of other reasons to worry. I gave-in and said, “Do you remember the BDSM thing? …” Thankfully, I did not have to explain it to her. However, it was awkward. Her reaction hurt my feelings, but  it could have been a lot worse.

Last night I learned:

1. My mom does not think BDSM in inherently wrong.

Yay!

2. She associates sadism and masochism with antisocial personality disorder (aka sociopaths).

First, she questioned out loud whether I was a sociopath. She didn’t really consider it. After all, she has known me forever and knows, if anything, I have too much empathy. However the idea that she would even consider for a moment, that I lack empathy, along with all the other implications of anti-social personality disorder, because I identify as a masochist or submissive saddens me. If the woman with a PhD in clinical psychology, who has known me longer than anyone on Earth, associates BDSM with antisocial personality disorder and other stigma, so strongly that she reconsiders my personality make-up, how can I expect anyone to accept this? Granted, I don’t go around talking about this IRL. However, knowing there is a huge part of me that I can never reveal to others for fear of reprisal also makes me sad.
Also if she thinks so poorly of sadists, what can she possibly think of me?

3. She thinks masochism will kill me.

She told me a story of a man in our town who was convicted for something (obstruction of justice? involuntary manslaughter? I don’t know), after his wife died during breath play and he burned the house down to try to cover it up. I don’t know if this is the same couple my previous Dom warned me about. He never mentioned a fire to hide evidence. He said they were too afraid to go to the E.R. because of stigma and she died. It sounds like a different couple. Regardless, I don’t feel too bad for the guy, setting his house on fire was a stupid move that made him look guilty of murder. My mom associates sadomasochism with accidental death and sociopaths. She says sadism is a symptom of antisocial personality disorder and there are more “messed up” people in this community than in the general population. Therefore, she thinks either I will die in an accident, or I will meet up with a serial killer or abuser. I told her I am not an idiot I know to meet people in public places and tell someone who I am meeting and where. She replied, “Great, so we know where to start looking for your body. That is comforting.” Also, she seems to forget that I’m not exactly the picture of mental health. If I don’t want someone who is “messed up”, why would anyone want me?! As far as accidents, yes sadomasochism can be dangerous, but well-informed people can take precautions.

4. She doesn’t seem to understand that sadism does not equal masochism.

Damn you Freud! There are masochists without any sadistic tendencies.

5. She thinks it is a learned behavior and it can be unlearned.
I’m not sure about this. I did a few hours of research and it seems man masochists do not know of their proclivities until young adulthood. Where the hell did 5 year old me learn such things?! Since it began so young for me, I tend to think it is inborn. I asked why she thought it needed therapy, if she thought there was nothing wrong with it. She explained her fears about the difficulty of finding a kind, mentally healthy life partner.

Since she believes finding a good husband would be more difficult in the BDSM world and BDSM is prone to accidental death, she thinks if I can chose not to be another way, I should because BDSM invites trouble. She suggested vanilla dating and then more therapy if I find vanilla is not for me.

6. She believes I have an abnormally high pain threshold. Therefore, it makes sense to her that “normal” sensation may not appeal to me.

Yes, I agree.

7. She thinks I should date 24+ vanilla men and see if I am capable of non-kinky arousal.

She thinks I have not had a enough vanilla experience to know that I’m really not aroused by vanilla things. She is correct, most of my experience has been kinky. It still seems dishonest to get into a relationship purely to explore. She thinks I need to try becoming emotionally attached to vanilla dates and see if physical intimacy has a spark when I care about someone. I see her point here. Yet, it seems like a lot of work. She pointed out that people break-up all the time, just because I may break-up with someone because of this doesn’t make it unfair to them. Essentially, she suggests the opposite of my commenters suggest, instead of exploring more kink, she thinks I should try to ignore it and explore vanilla. I’m not sure why, but her idea gives me a negative feeling, while the opposite does not.

She insists she sees nothing wrong with BDSM on its face, but she also thinks I should get therapy to fix this if I try more vanilla things and nothing works.

2 comments:

  1. I still had the tab open, but I'm afraid it will disappear when I refresh it because the comment isn't showing up on my past notifications anymore and when I tried to reply directly, Google wouldn't let me.

    Here is your comment:

    Timothy Tuttlesmith
    commented on a post on Blogger.
    Shared publicly - 7:29 PM

    Well that sounds awkward! I don't what the etiquette for commenting on someone's blog is, but here goes:

    I'm not sure if thinking of kinky and vanilla dating as two separate things is necessarily that helpful. There are probably lots of guys who seem extremely vanilla on the surface but have plenty of secrets of their own, as well as vanilla guys that will at least be open to trying it. From my limited experience I'd say interest in BDSM is no real predictor of personality, but openness talking about it might be.

    Online dating on the other hand... now that's a dangerous thing to fool around with :-)
    BDSM Stigma or When family recommends sex therapy
    http://masochistmusing.blogspot.com/2013/12/when-family-recommends-sex-therapy-or.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Timothy Tuttlesmith I think I accidentally deleted your "share" and comment when I disabled Google+ comments. Sorry!! Here was my reply:

    Hi, I don't know anything about commenting etiquette. You're my first comment. Yay! *does happy dance* I disabled Google+ comments because it appears enabling them means only people with Google+ pages can comment. I know you have an account, but this may make it easier to comment.

    It was awkward, very, very awkward.

    I see what you're saying. They don't have to be different. I probably view them distinctly because all my BDSM relationships began on Collarme or Alt, while I've never used online dating to meet vanilla people.

    Ha, my mom brought up vanilla people stretching their boundaries for my sake. It is a valid point. However, my proclivities are darker than many people. I have not ventured into edgeplay yet. So, I'm not as extreme as some people. I seem to be in an odd space between edgeplay and softer kinks. Even those who call themselves sadists sometimes shy away from my ideas. Therefore, I fear it is not feasible for someone without kinky desires to stretch themselves to meet me. That said, you're right, people could just take time to reveal themselves.

    This wouldn't be such a problem, after all relationships are about compromise, if all intimacy were not involved in kink. At this point, that is the case for me. My mom thinks I don't have enough experience with vanilla intimacy to make that call, but who knows...

    You're probably right about personality. As I mentioned, all my BDSM relationships started online and I tend to throw everything out in the open because I don't want to waste time. As a result, I bet I attract people with similar personalities. In terms of what she was saying about antisocial personality disorder and sadism... I don't have scientific data on that. So, I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete